Arrangements and Orders For Children

Arrangements and Orders For Children

Where possible, we encourage parents to come to an agreement between themselves in relation to childcare and to keep the children’s best interests at heart. Our divorce and family law specialists can provide guidance and advice on the options available when making arrangements concerning their children’s welfare. We can also act for you if you require intervention from the court.


We advise and act for married and unmarried parents who wish to make arrangements for their children upon separation or divorce or at any time after. If the arrangements cannot be agreed then either parent can ask the court to intervene. We can act for you throughout the court process and advise you upon the orders you need and the implications. We also advise grandparents. The arrangements or orders might include:

· The child`s day to day living arrangements

· Taking the child abroad to live

· Specific matters relating to the child`s upbringing, for example schooling

· Residence – deciding who the child should live with

· Contact – formerly known as access

· Preventing or prohibiting one parent from acting without the other parent`s consent

· Parental responsibility for unmarried parents, step parents, grandparents or other family members

· Change of surname

More often than not it is better if the parents can agree about the arrangements for their child. If you wish, we can refer you to mediation services who can help parents reach the right decision for their children. In some cases it is necessary to ask the court to intervene, particularly where action is needed to protect the child or safeguard their well-being. Our Solicitors will explain the options available to you when making arrangements for your children enabling you to make informed decisions regarding your children’s welfare.

It is essential to bear in mind that in some matters timing is crucial. For example, if you want to take your child to live permanently abroad, or object to the other parent doing so, you need to act in good time. The court tends to give priority to children`s cases but resources are not unlimited and the process can take months before a decision is made.

If you have any queries regarding arrangements and orders for your children you can request a call back from one of our divorce and family law Solicitors at our Tadcaster office by completing our contact form or calling 01937 832371.